Raspberry Chocolate Mint Avocado freezer Pie
gluten free, dairy free, nut free
This is a great dessert to make up for the holidays when we are all tempted by the indulging foods of the season. This pie is made with health promoting ingredients that satisfies the palate and gives you healthy fats from the avocados necessary to support optimal brain function. All that in a pie! Store this pie in the freezer and de-thaw for about an hour before serving, this pie is served cold but not completely frozen; leaving it at room temperature for too long will soften it too much.
Recipe by. Susanna Deering, RHN
What you will need: food processor, wax paper, 9″ springform pan, spatula, small saucepan and spoon
Makes one 9″ pie
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- ½ cup raw sunflower seeds (soaked for an hour)
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds (soaked for an hour)
- 10 dates, pitted
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 4 ripe avocados
- 1 cup raw cacao powder
- ½ cup maple syrup
- 2 tsp peppermint extract
- 2 tbsp coconut milk
- ¼ cup coconut flour
- pinch of himalayan salt
- 1 ½ cups fresh or frozen raspberries
- 2 tbsp filtered water
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- Make the crust by adding to a food processor, coconut, seeds, pitted dates and coconut oil. Process for a couple minutes until well combined and just starting to stick together.
- Line a springform pan with wax paper and add the crust on top, press down firmly and evenly. You can use your fingers or a spatula.
- To make the avocado filling, add the avocados, cacao powder, maple syrup, peppermint extract, coconut milk and flour and salt. Process until well combined.
- Pour on top of the crust and spread out evenly with a spatula. Place in the freezer to set.
- To make the raspberry topping, in a small saucepan over medium heat add the raspberries, water, maple syrup and chia seeds. Heat on low until raspberries are broken down, about 5 – 10 minutes. Mixture will thicken from the chia seeds.
- Pour the raspberry mixture into a blender or the food processor to puree.
- Once the mixture is cooled, you can take out the pie and pour the raspberry sauce on top of the avocado layer and spread evenly. Place some extra raspberries on top as a garnish. Put back in the freezer to set.
- When ready to serve, remove from the freezer, take out of the springform pan and place on a serving plate, thaw for about an hour. This pie is easy to cut when cold, do not let it get to room temperature or the pie will turn into a pudding. Enjoy 🙂