Creamy coconut milk combined with antioxidant rich matcha powder, hormone balancing maca powder, flavourful vanilla powder and mineral rich maple syrup. A cup of coffee just can’t compete with these flavours.
Matcha powder, which is a concentrated green tea powder, does contain caffeine but reacts in a different way in your body then other sources of caffeine. Matcha will give you more of a sustained energy throughout the day due to certain amino acids contained in them. Matcha is also very alkalizing, which we want, compared to the acidic nature of other caffeinated beverages.
Maca powder is a favourite of mine to add to smoothies, it comes from a root and you purchase it in powder form. Its commonly used in Peru to boost energy levels.
This easy to make, healthy and satisfying latte is so much better then what you can buy at your local coffee shop. When we can learn to make our favourites at home and use the healthiest of ingredients we get the best of both worlds, satisfying our taste buds without sacrificing our health.
Matcha Maca Latte
Recipe by Susanna Deering, RHN
(makes one large mug)
- ½ cup coconut milk (from a can, shaken up)
- 1 cup filtered water
- ½ tsp green tea matcha powder
- ¼ tsp maca powder
- ¼ tsp vanilla extract or 1/8 tsp vanilla powder
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- In a small saucepan, heat the coconut milk and the water until steaming hot
- Add in all other ingredients and whisk to combine
- To make it extract smooth and frothy, pour into a blender and blend for about 3 seconds
- Pour into your favourite mug and sip away!